Overwhelmed with a collection of unviewed and unread entertainment I have sitting in stacks on shelves and in boxes, (and maybe a pile or two on the floor...), this is my way of working through the backlog. I read it/view it and then write about it.

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Batman, Incorporated: The Deluxe Edition by Grant Morrison and others


Batman, Incorporated: The Deluxe Edition is an oversized hardcover collection containing Batman, Incorporated #1-8 and the one-shot ­Batman, Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes! along with a collection of bonus materials. The book itself is quite impressive looking, and I look forward to putting it up with the rest of my collector edition books once I find a way to make room for it.

The stories in this collection focus on Bruce Wayne creating an organized, international group of Bat-men and women who will stand against the coming threat of a terrorist organization known as Leviathan. During Bruce Wayne’s time traveling/death thing a few years back, following Final Crisis, he witnessed a future where the world needed protection from a coming threat, and so he begins to publically, financially back Batman (and Bat-people around the world). If that sentence made sense to you, good, because this book relies on your previous knowledge of recent events to really get the maximum enjoyment from this book. I, myself have only really followed these events through information gathered on the internet over the past few years, and so I knew just enough for me to not feel entirely out of place, though I do feel I would have benefited more from reading Grant Morrison’s previous work with the character. It would also help to really know your Bat-history, as Morrison seems thrilled to comb through the mythos of Batman to dredge up long forgotten characters to put the spotlight on once again. The supplement material found in the back of the book has Morrison explaining a bit of the history of each of these characters and why he selected them, so eventually you do get a broader view of the characters, but it would have been nice to know how they were connected before reading a story featuring them.

Every issue or two we are introduced to a new Batman, Inc. recruit, as The Batman visits each one and works towards solving a case. Some of these stories really shine, and some of them are the tangled mess of meta-storytelling that Morrison seems to favour. However, the issues that do stand out are some of the best pure comic superhero stories I have read. The first two issues reintroduce Lord Death Man, who is a villain I find entertaining- he treats the world as one over-the-top violent video game-esque experience where he goes out of his way to cause violence and mayhem-, as well as the Japanese Batman. The final page of the first issue is pure, zany genius, and I loved it. (SPOILER: Batman’s recruit rushes home to make sure his girlfriend is alright, and as he dashes up the stairs the land lady is complaining about a leak. When he enters the apartment, he discovers Lord Death Man has tied his girlfriend to chair sitting on a trap door. Events happen, leading to her falling through the trap door, and in the last page we discover that the apartment below has been completely filled with water, and a giant squid is preparing to devour the girl! It is the insanity that only Grant Morrison can come up with, and why, even though I don’t like everything he does, I know I will be rewarded with moments like that if I persevere.)

The other moment that really sticks out is the issue where we meet Man-of-Bats, a Native American who performs the Batman role on a reserve, helping wherever he can. The issue was an interesting look at justice on a small scale without glorified super-villains, (though Leviathan does show it’s a head a bit), and on a budget. There is a sequence where we see Man-of-Bats’ Bat Cave, which acts as an off-the-road-tourist area, and see low tech variations of many of the things Batman has in his cave. It is a moment that both echoes the mythos of Batman as well as being a touching moment, seeing the ideology of Batman represented in a place as poor as the reserve is.

Morrison has woven an interesting concept into a number of fun storylines, and while not every issue resonated with me, I can see why this series had so many people singing its praises. The building of a global Bat-army is a fascinating concept within the realm of comics, and truly fits the belief system of Bruce Wayne so well that I am surprised no one thought to do something like this long before. In that, I can see the genius of Grant Morrison and why he should be recognized as dynamic force on the medium. Yes, I do not feel that every story was great, and without a lot of background knowledge of some of these characters much of the impact that was intended was lost on me; however, there are still good stories to be found in this volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment