Overwhelmed with a collection of unviewed and unread entertainment I have sitting in stacks on shelves and in boxes, (and maybe a pile or two on the floor...), this is my way of working through the backlog. I read it/view it and then write about it.

Sunday 29 April 2012

Super Mario 3D Land by Nintendo


I should start this by saying that I am most likely going to talk about the game in its entirety, so if you are one of those people who want to know absolutely nothing about how Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach, or how Mario saves her by defeating Bowser in a heated battle of macho manliness you should most likely stop reading. Also, if you don’t want to know about the special, post-world eight game bonus stuff, you should probably just go ahead take off as well.


“So, how about that newish handheld Mario game for that newish Nintendo handheld system that is held back from being a great portable device by a terrible, less than three hour battery life?” you might ask.

It’s a lot of fun. It’s Mario, there are goombas and koopa troopers and star coins to collect. It’s all the platforming you come to expect from a Mario game, although it’s been slightly castrated by being far too easy for far too much of the time. That is my only big complaint really, so let’s get it out of the way now. The first half of the game (World 1 through 8) were dead simple, with the Nintendo gods feeling the need to rain down 1-ups for being marginally proficient at jumping atop flag poles and finding “hidden” green mushrooms. And while they handed out psychedelic, life giving fungi, they also decided to make the gauntlet of trials and tribulations Mario must overcome to save his one true -though perhaps promiscuous- love about as challenging as World 1-1 from the original Super Mario Bros. By the time I reached the Final Bowser boss fight, I had well over 100 lives, and never really felt threatened by anything the game threw at me. (Although, yes, I did once have the game offer me an invincible Tanooki Suit, Nintendo’s way of saying that it felt I might be incapable of completing the level because I had failed to make one irksome jump a handful of times and was worried I might give up and fall upon my Master Sword in shame and frustration). However, there are two things that balance out this complaint. First off, the levels are fun, and well designed. I liked seeing what the designers had thought up next, and it kept me playing (though at first I was bothered by the fact that each world was not a themed collection of levels, but a simple hodgepodge of gimmicks strung along, though I eventually got over that). The second thing that counterbalances the severe easiness of the first eight or so hours is that you can almost view them as a (very) extended tutorial before the real game begins. The last eight special worlds, unlocked after you defeat Bowser, feature a lot of challenges. So if you can keep yourself playing through the first eight hours, which feature well designed, easy levels, you will find a lot to like from the last half (and one or two levels where you want to throw something in anger, which is dangerous considering the streamlined, easily huckable shape of the 3DS itself).

In all honesty, I could probably stop there, since I kind of said all those little, nibbling things that I have been mulling over since beating the game. However, I guess I could quickly discuss the 3D elements of the game. First of all, the 3D effect in the game does add some depth, but doesn’t really do anything for me either way. While the first time I handled the 3DS, (at a kiosk in a Toys R Us), I was blown away by how cool the 3D was, (I wasn’t wearing glasses! The screen wasn’t a darkened mess due to the glasses! There was depth and my eyes were trippin’, man!), after playing a full game with the feature, I like it, but if it didn’t exist I wouldn’t feel like I was missing anything. The only time I really took notice of the feature and thought it added a little something was with the two top-down levels where lava rose up toward me, and Mario dropped down deep holes in the ground to collect coins before hitting a springy block and popping back up at me. Those moments were cool, but only really lasted a few short minutes. I went back and replayed those levels a number of times because they were so cool. Sadly, Nintendo didn’t feel like making more of those. What they did do instead was make a few cloud sections were a little 3D notification floated in the bottom of the screen letting you know you needed to see depth to make the jumps between clouds, so turn on the 3D screen effect if you had turned it off. These sections were boring and the 3D, while suggested by Nintendo, didn’t seem very wow to me, or very necessary to beating the sections. The M.C. Escher-esque demo screen off the start menu was more impressive. The reason for this lack of great 3D use can be traced back to one thing, I feel. Nintendo wants to include everyone, even at the expense of limiting fun for the majority, and this is one example: there is a health and safety warning that says 3D effects should only be used by those ages 7 and up. So, for that huge subset of kids ages 1 month to 6.99 years old who play video games, Nintendo has avoided doing anything where 3D is required as a portion of game design. I do understand that not everyone will be able to see 3D, and that there are lots of kindergarten aged kids that want to play Nintendo, but when the ability to include a touted feature of your system on a flagship brand is squandered you have to wonder why you felt it should be a hardware design component at all. Was it just an excuse to sell me a new handheld when the old one was treating me just fine? Regardless, I feel that Mario could have used a bit more 3D pizzaz.

In general, I had fun with the game, collecting star coins, hoping over lava pits, and trying out all the little gimmicks that Nintendo inserted into the platforming formula. The game featured a number of levels that have stuck in my mind and have enjoyed playing them over a few extra times for fun, and will be going back to every once and a while for brief forays when I start to miss Mario’s mustachioed mug.

No comments:

Post a Comment